Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Puttin' on my big girl shorts

Puttin' on your big girl shorts and stepping out of your comfort zone is good to do from time to time. It adds a bit of excitement to a sometimes routine lifestyle. It's especially true as you get older, set in your ways and find it easier to "play it safe."

As I wrote in an earlier blog post, I've been riding my fat bike on trail rides. I'm perfectly fine on the double track trails but start to panic a little as we go to single track. I lack the confidence in my bike handling skills to relax and just have fun.

With road riding 5000+ miles a season, I'm perfectly comfortable sitting in a paceline, 6" off the wheel in front of me at 20 mph (as long as I know who's wheel), but am uneasy when it comes to flying down a hill on a narrow tree lined track. I do want to get better and more confident, but just going out there and riding single track only goes so far. This past summer I participated in an all women's Dirt Days. A group of women host a trail ride for any level female rider and coach them through different obstacles. I had a great time, learned a lot and was totally mentally and physically exhausted after the 2 hour ride.

I've been looking for another women's event and came across one at Ray's MTB park in Milwaukee. Each year they dedicate a weekend to a women's only clinic. I'm all registered and am looking forward to facing my fears and gaining new confidence. All while trying not to injure myself.

Ray's MTB Park is an indoor facility so I don't have to worry about snow and ice that weekend. Plus it is a more controlled environment. The clinic isn't until the first weekend in March so I'll blog about my experiences then.

Check out a recent article in SingleTracks.com on the 9 Great NA Indoor MTB Parks. Ray's is listed and there might be one in your neck of the woods.

I'm excited, yet nervous. But it's time to put on my big girl shorts and go shredding.  Well, I may need to bring an extra pair of short if it gets too insane.


Wish me luck and let me know how what you are doing to get out of your comfort zone.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are going to try rays.that triple whoop de Doo you signed up 4 should be a blast

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take care of boomer till your out of traction

    ReplyDelete