Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Naked has no place in cycling

I would never use "prude" to describe myself, nor do I think anyone has called me one. Hey, in the 80s I hung out for three summers at a nude beach on Long Island. But for some time I've been bothered by the Assos ads for their women's cycling apparel. I kept asking myself, is it really necessary to have a virtually naked woman modeling women's cycling shorts, tights, and bibs in very provocative poses? Please, give that woman a sports bra or jersey. Have her sitting on a bike or next to a bike with clothes on. Don't have her half covering her breast and wearing a "come do" me pout. Common on guys!!! Really???

Really....Is this necessary?

So I was elated to read that Assos has a new CEO, Phil Duff, that started in September, who's married with three daughters. He has come forward to say, "We are now going to portray women the same way we do men...as athletes."  Amen to that!!! The timing couldn't be better as USA Cycling named Assos the official cycling apparel partner for their team. Yep, time to clean up their act.

Ella Cycling Tips did a recent interview with Phil Duff and it sounds like he'll take the company in the right direction. It truly amazes me that women still need to fight to be seen and treated equally. The cycling industry is so male dominated that it continues to be a battle all women cyclists should fight. As consumers you can do it with your dollars and your voice. Support companies that see women as athletes, not a sex symbols.

Check out the article on Assos. I'll be watching closely to see if Mr. Duff is true to his words.

Share your thoughts and comments about the Assos marketing and other cycling ads. Does it bother you? Do you think it's okay? Voice your opinion below in the Comments.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri



No comments:

Post a Comment