Sunday, January 29, 2017

Goals vs Resolutions

I am not the type of person that makes New Year's resolutions. However, I do make goals. What's the difference?

Here are the definitions I found: 

Resolution - a firm decision to do or not to do something:
Goal - the result or achievement toward which effort is directed

I like goals because you must put some effort towards achieving them, thus more satisfaction when you do. Goals also provide you...direction, energy, challenge and an opportunity to think outside the box.


Most of my goals are athletic in nature...improve my hill climbing, increase my core strength, or master bike handling skills on single track. These are my "minor" goals this year. But my big goal (drum roll please) is to do an half Ironman distance triathlon...AGAIN. My last "half" was back in 2008 and it's time to tackle it again.

Of the three disciplines of triathlon, running is my 3rd strength. I've never really enjoyed running like I do open water swimming or cycling. Primarily because of pain and injury. I have totally flat feet and even with custom orthotics I just end up with injuries. But this year I'm hoping it will be different. I'm three weeks into a "Couch to half marathon" training program. It incorporates run/walk training to get you to a 13.1 mile run. I'm hoping that this easing into running does the trick and I remain injury free. 

I'm headed back to Grand Rapids, MI for my third time. 2014 I finished an Ironman aquabike, last year a half Ironman aquabike and now a instead of Swim, Bike, Done...it will be Swim, Bike, Run. I'm excited that three of my friends will be racing too and hoping for a few more will join us. My goal is to first, finish the race. Second, to improve my time over 2008. MI Titanium is a lot hillier than Spirit of Racine, but I'm up for the challenge. Let's hope there's less chip and seal on the bike course and no flats. Oh, yeah, maybe no tornadoes or horizontal rain, either. 


This will be an adventure and definitely a challenge. I'm older, but wiser, so I'm confident to achieve my goal. 

I invite you to share with me your goals for 2017 in the comments section and join me in my adventure this year. 

It's going to be an enjoyable ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment