Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Do epic sh*t



As we age, it’s harder for us to get out of our comfort zones. Push ourselves to try something new or achieve a goal we thought unachievable. What’s so great about being out of your comfort zone? It makes you uncomfortable. But then like magic it makes you feel stronger, empowered and energized.

Betty Designs, a woman owned and run athletic apparel company, launched a line of wrist bands and gear with mantras to inspire as well as empower women. And it works! 

Recently I found myself in a rut, almost like being on a hamster wheel. But in the last two weeks I’ve pushed myself outside my comfort zone. Spring time…time for new beginnings and time to shake things up. Right?

First, I started a weekly hilly ride with one of my local bike groups. I dislike hills and have worked in recent years to embrace them. Telling myself, they break you down only to build you up. Last week was the first ride of the season. It was me and 8 guys. It started out as a bit of a hammerfest with me clinging onto the back of the paceline gasping for air. My head was swimming with thoughts of not wanting to get dropped, but most of all, don’t make them wait for you. Yes, I was out of my comfort zone.

I’m determined to keep this weekly ride and ultimately become a better climber. This group will make me a stronger rider, pushing my limits with every ride.

Today was my second “out of my comfort zone” moment. We’ve been lucky to have a mild winter and a string of warm days. Loathing the black line of the pool and anticipating getting back to open water swimming, I was excited to hear the Otters were taking the plunge this morning.

I don’t do well in cold water, but the desire to get in open water, trumped everything else. So this morning I put on my big girl suit and headed to the lake. The group milled around with excitement of getting to swim open water again…it had been since October. I started to question my sanity until my friend took out her Betty Designs swim cap. In bold letters it said “Do Epic Shit”. It spoke to me and I jumped (okay slowly lowered myself) into 58.6 degree F water. It was definitely frigid, but I pushed myself to swim to buoy 1, then buoy 2. Somewhere between buoy 2 and 3 I just got too cold and turned around. But I felt exhilarated, or was it hypothermia? Getting out of my comfort zone energized me. Made me feel alive again. Zero regrets. 



To keep this theme going we head out east next month to do some crazy rides with some major climbing. It’s going to be tough, but I know in the end I’ll be stronger and empowered.

So go out and do some epic shit and be a bad ass. It’s empowering in a world these days where sometimes you feel powerless.   

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment