Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Day of the Girl should be everyday

I use this platform to promote and empower women in areas of fitness and cycling. Today is no different. October 11th is International Day of the Girl. It was started as a way to increase awareness of issues faced by girls around the world. More than 62 million girls globally have no access to education and one in four are married before the age of 18. The goal of this day is not only to raise awareness of issues girls face, but what can happen when those problems are solved.


Since its inception, each year this day has a theme:
- 2012 - "Ending child marriage"
- 2013 - "Innovating for girl's education"
- 2014 - "Empowering Adolescent Girls: Ending the Cycle of Violence"
- 2015 - "The Power of Adolescent Girl: Vision for 2030"
- 2016 - "Girls' Progress = Goals' Progress: What Counts for Girls"

This year's them is "EmPOWER Girls: Before, during and after crises."

Back in May I blogged about Empower the Girl. Ignite the Women in conjunction with Global Women's Cycling Day. Honestly, it doesn't matter how you empower a girl, be it through education or sports. To empower a girl is to bring about positive social change.

Growing up I was lucky that my parents never said "you can't do that because you are a girl." They always encouraged me to pursue my interests. Can't wasn't part of my vocabulary. I'd rather try and fail than never have tried at all. My grandmother was a great inspiration to me. I truly believe she was ahead of her time. An immigrant from Nazi Germany, she came to the U.S. with almost nothing. But she was educated, smart, resourceful and athletic. She worked at the University of Chicago and would swim in Lake Michigan off the Point in Hyde Park. If alive today, I'm sure she would have loved to join me in Otterville for a morning swim.

Today and every day, empower your daughters or mentor a young girl. Never say "you can't do that, you're a girl." Instead say "YES, you can do anything."

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment