Sunday, May 25, 2014

Pedaling, Pins and Ponies

Just returned from a fantastic weekend in Georgetown, KY (outside of Lexington) for the annual Horsey 100 invitational. As it's been for the past 5 years that I've attended, a fantastic two days of cycling through the rolllllling hills of horse country. The weather was spectacular in the 70s and low humidity. Kentucky's growing season is about a month ahead of us here in Chicago so the peonies and hydrangeas were in full bloom and the rolling meadows were peppered with brood mares and their foals.

Okay, so from my last post I was on the perverbial fence about doing the century route on Saturday. Well with a lot of positive feedback and encouragement...also feeling the stars were aligned, I went for it. And yes I completed the full 107 miles and 7,000 feet of climb.

The Trip Summary
I treated this as a training ride not going hell bent and not yackin' & slackin' either. Being forewarned that in past years the elevation gain was 8000-8500 ft, I needed to pace myself and ride my own ride. So that's what I did and rarely drafting. It was a good simulation of my August race, not the hills, but the solo riding with no drafting allowed.  

I was shocked at the male/female ratio on the century route. It was about 85% men and 15% women. But what was interesting, the women were of all ages, many being triathletes. I felt proud to be one of the few women attempting this challenge. And I really want to thank several of my dear cycling friends who encouraged me and showered me with positive affirmations that gave me the courage to not only attempt it, but finish.

As a result of finishing this ride so early in the season, I have the confidence going forward that I can be successful at the Michigan Titanium race in August. It was really a confidence booster beyond words.

There was a second day of riding this morning. Tired legs and a honey do list waiting back home, we opted for a 37 mile ride. They said at registration this was the flatter day. But as I knew from previous years, there's Kentucky flat and Illinois flat. Heck there was 2000 ft of climb and most was in the first 20 miles....Yep Kentucky flat.

Received my Century Ride pin. What I wont do for a piece of jewelry.
The Nutrition
Since this was an invitational, there are fully stocked rest stops about every 20-25 miles. However, at mile 51 they were out of food!!! I always try to carry some GU and a bar with me just in case. I rationed what I had because I was afraid of getting to the 71 mile rest stop and they'd be out of food there, too. The route from 51 to 71 included a lot of climbing so I was hoping not to bonk. There are no convenience stores out there in farm country.

When we got to the 71 mile rest stop I received my century pin since only the 100 mile riders use that rest stop...the others stops are shared with other routes. And thank goodness there was food!!! I was worried a volunteer at the stop would have to be sacrificed.

I had taken Salt Sticks prior to the ride. That helped with my electrolytes and sodium. Also watered down my Gatorade because all that sugar upsets my stomach.

All in all my nutritional plan worked well. But note to self, next time take more GU and bars than you think you need. I bet I could have sold them for $5 bucks each.

The Equipment
As expected I took my new Domane on the trip. Her first century. The electronic shifting on the Vermonster was awesome. I was constantly shifting due to the terrain.  Not only the ease and swiftness of the electronic shifting was so wonderful, but the fact that I could shift under load was very helpful. With a regular cable shifting system, you have to back off from the pedal pressure when you shift. Not so with electronic.

The electronic shifting allowed me to have shifters on the aero bars and the handle bars. I used them both and was glad to have them in multiple locations.

The aero wheels were also a plus. They roll like a dream and you just fly down the descents. When I hit 35 mph I had to start breaking. Not knowing the roads, I didn't want to wipe out. Some of the descents had quick turns at the bottom and in past years people have crashed. I wanted to live to ride another day.

The seat was a new Specialized brand racing seat which I only had 60 miles on before heading to Kentucky. It was pretty good but I do have to say my sit bones are sore. I need some more saddle time to break it in. Really hoping this one is a winner.

Elevation map of the 107 mile route, 7000 ft of climb.
One more ride tomorrow before I take a break and hit the pool on Tuesday and a 90 minute massage with Alison on Wednesday night. Then back on the bike Thursday night.

I'm thrilled with how my training is going and how this weekend panned out. I was scheduled to do a century next Sunday, but it's looking like rain. So I'm glad I seized the day, listened to my friends and went for the pin. What a wonderful weekend of pedaling, pins and ponies.

Happy Memorial Day and be sure to thank a Veteran for their service.

Enjoy the ride.
Sheri




No comments:

Post a Comment