Thursday, May 29, 2014

When is doing a Bong and a half legal?

Oh, it's not what you think....yeah as kids we'd drive past the sign for Bong Recreation Area and always snicker. But it wasn't until I started doing the time trials around this Wisconsin state park that I discovered it was named for Maj. Richard Bong a WWII veteran aviator.


There are three time trials during the summer that follow the roads surrounding this state park. The first one was in May and called the Single Bong. The one coming up June 8th is called Bong and a half. Then in August the Double Bong. Yep I'm giggling just typing this.

The Bong and a half race is a 30k time trial and as the name indicates you go one and half times around the state park. The course is fairly flat with a few rises but nothing major. There are right hand turns which is good because the course is not closed to traffic.

I have a love hate relationship with time trials. I really enjoy getting out there and hauling butt for 18-25 miles at a clip without any drafting from another rider. (It's different if it is a team competition...2 person or 4 person). The hate comes in when you have to drive an hour or two to get to the race and you only ride 18-25 miles. It seems like a waste, but deep down I know it is great training.

I'll be racing in the Masters age group category. They do have Cat 1-4, but I don't qualify. That's fine with me. I'm not out there for the bling...heck I got my Horsey 100 Century Pin already. I'm out to go as hard as I can and hope to average a good speed. I'm hoping I can do 18-19 mph avg over the 30k course. At least that's my target goal.

So on June 8th I'll do a Bong and a half and it's all legal. And I will inhale...actually I'll be gasping for air on the course leaving it all out there. You want to cross that finish line with nothing left in the tank...or you weren't 'going hard enough. Wish me luck.

Enjoy the ride.
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment