Thursday, July 10, 2014

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter...

This is one of my favorite lines from the movies. Can you guess which one? It was Grease (1978) with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John. It's from the scene where the principal was making the daily announcements over the PA system and came up with this doozie.

It really is important to have a good support network as you train for your big race. Be it a triathlon, marathon, long distance swim race or even my bucket list Ironman AquaBike. Training for an event becomes an integral and routine part of your life. In order to succeed, it has to take priority over a lot of other activities, including time with family and friends. Luckily if you bike, swim or run with your friends, that's a bonus. But in many cases you need supportive, understanding family and friends who will see you less during the summer months.


I've been very frustrated because my immediate family (not my extended family) has zero interest in my quest for finishing the Ironman AquaBike. Not once have I gotten a supportive affirmation or a question about how my training is going. Sad but true. That's why I'm so thankful to have a great network of friends, fellow athletes, and even acquaintances that are consistently providing support, inquisitive about my training progress and so very understanding that my social time is limited. Even my colorist can't wait for my next appointment to hear how many miles I've ridden and how my latest bike trip went. Those little things go a long way in keeping me motivated and excited to race.


With 45 days until race day, I'll be honest, I'm stressing out. So know that the support you all are giving me means so much. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and my very tired body.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment