Thursday, August 14, 2014

10 days until race day...taking inventory

As of this morning it is 10 days until race day. It seems so long ago, on a cold December day, when I  clicked "register" on the MI Titanium web site and I was on my way to checking off another journey on my bucket list.

With only 10 days to go there's really nothing more I can do to build muscle, increase endurance or drastically improve technique. What I can do is start tapering, insure I get plenty of sleep, eat right, take inventory of where I'm at and feel confident in my ability to finish this race strong. Best of all there isn't any negative chatter in my head. I have put a lot of quality hours on the bike both on the computrainer and on the road. 3,400 miles on the road YTD. As part of the 3,400 I've completed a century ride in May, June and August as well as a number of 70-80 mile rides.

I've also been swimming with a group in Lake Zurich. My swim coach hooked me up with them back in early June. I can't say enough great things about this group. They've been welcoming and encouraging. Well actually one negative...they take attendance via cell phone pics then post them on Facebook. Yeah, lovely glamor shots of me half asleep, lake hair and goggle eyes. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful at 545am...NOT!! But to be honest, I actually look forward to crawling out of bed at 5am and jumping into the lake. It's so tranquil and an amazing way to start the day. I'm truly blessed to have found them and plan to continue to swim post race...after some needed rest.

Tuesday I had my last swim lesson with AJ, my coach and friend. She's been great in tweaking my stroke and helping me be a more efficient swimmer. 2.4 miles is a long way to go an not be efficient. Her high energy is contagious and I've even stolen her mantra that will play in my head during the entire swim. "Long and Strong. Long and Strong."

Next week I have my final deep tissue massage with Allison. She's gotten me on a regular schedule this summer and it has really helped my body recover and feel better. I'll see her again a few days after the race for a gentle massage. She's warned me I will not be interested in deep tissue and I tend to agree with her. But to be honest I don't know how she will resist digging an elbow or fist into my back or legs. Maybe I'll have to use a shock collar in case she forgets it's a gentle massage and there will be other opportunities to beat me up another day.

I've tested all the nutrition I plan to consume during the race. All have been easy on my stomach. The trick is  just getting myself to eat as I tend not to be too interested in food while riding. It think my best nutrition find were GU Chomps. I like the GU gel packets but the problem was, once you opened the packet you had to consume the whole thing. Also it was sticky and messy. The GU Chomps let you regulate how much consume. So I open the packet and eat a Chomp or two every half hour or so. The caffeine also is an added boost.


I have 5 more bike rides and 4 more swims left. But then who's counting? ME!!!!  Again, I can't thank all the wonderful people who have helped and encouraged me through this journey. You gave me strength, confidence and motivation to achieve my goal and check another journey off my bucket list. Does it rate up there with my Kenyan Safari which I checked off my bucket list in 2000 or the Inca Trail Trek in 2008? I'll let you know in 10 days.

Still enjoying the ride,
Sheri




No comments:

Post a Comment