Friday, August 1, 2014

23 days and counting

Race day is getting closer and I'm actually looking forward to tapering in another week. This 51 year old body is tired!!! But between yesterday's bike ride (18.4 mph avg and a low 56 Strava suffer score) and this morning's 1.6 mile lake swim, I am feeling good about where I'm at 23 days out from the race.

I did have a bit of a scare a couple of weeks ago. Yep, saddle issues again! The saddle I was using is too hard for my delicate behind. It may be a big behind, but it's delicate. The repetitive pedaling motion combined with the very hard saddle has caused bursitis around my left sit bone area. At first I thought the golf ball size nodule was a cyst but the dermatologist ruled it out. She sent me to a sports medicine doctor. Gotta say, going to a doctor who is also a triathlete is awesome. First, of all he understands all the lingo...riding on the hoods, riding in the aeros...as well as the position of your pelvis in each one of those positions. Second, he understands telling me to stay off my bike for 2-3 weeks is not an option right now. So my quest for a new saddle continues.

After trying out 6 more saddles I am now riding on a Cobb. I have about 150 miles on it over 3 rides. The big test will be tomorrow. I'm headed to Indiana/Michigan for the Amishland and Lakes ride. Saturday will be 108 miles. The forecast is 40% of isolated thunderstorms. So hoping they are wrong. Sunday I can choose between 22-62 miles. We shall see how the legs and butt feel and make the  determination which distance on Sunday morning.
I've already lost one of my domestices for tomorrow's ride, as he has to work. So the pressure is on the remaining one. I actually found this really cool vest they had at the Tour de France that carries 10 water bottles. Not sure why I was told "NO". I think it's quite the fashion statement. Check out the pic below or the video of it in use here.

Well, time for a quick power nap, pack up the car and drive 3 hours. I'll definitely have a post about the weekend ride...Buggies, Blueberries and Bicycles. Wonder how much I can draft behind an Amish buggy? They go at a pretty good clip but they don't shout out "Poop right" so you can dodge the road apples.

Have an awesome weekend everyone. And enjoy the ride.
Sheri


No comments:

Post a Comment