Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Getting my geek on

Yesterday I booked my trip to Las Vegas to attend the InterBike show in September. It's the largest cycling industry show in North America. There are 750 vendors representing over 1400 brands. I've always wanted to go and finally have the chance with RoadBikeRider.com and a Media Press Pass. This is so cool I'm giddy. Yes, I'm going to get my geek on.


As a female (and female cyclist) I know I'll be in the minority at this convention. As I perused the educational and technical seminars offered, in addition to the exhibits, I was taken back the anemic  women's specific track. A mere 5 seminars, one of which was a happy hour. Are you kidding me? This speaks volumes that the cycling industry is still male dominated. They are definitely missing the boat on the virtually untapped market of women cyclists.

There is one session with a panel discussion called "Influencers, Ambassadors and Athletes: Expand your definition and your reach". The woman that heads my Pearl Izumi Ride Champion program will be on the panel. I'm hoping I can take an hour and attend that breakout session.

But the majority of my few days in Vegas will be to check out the new technology, clothing, accessories, etc on the exhibit floor. Over the years I've accumulated enough knowledge about bikes, bike components, etc to hold an intelligent conversation. So it will be fun to get my geek on and mix it up with some of these reps.

But first I need to knock out this MI Titanium race on Sunday. Taper week has commenced and I'm enjoying dialing back my training a bit. But as all athletes know, it's tough not to continue with your regular routine. From past mistakes, I know I need to start my race with fresh legs and a refreshed body. Forecast in Grand Rapids is rain. But that seems to change daily. I hope we don't end up like the folks at the Racine Triathlon where storms forced the swim to be cancelled and the bike course to be shortened. Keeping positive thoughts.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri



No comments:

Post a Comment