Sunday, August 28, 2016

Why I Tri

Last Sunday's race in Michigan was all about me and persevering through storms, tornadoes, flat tire,  and horizontal rain with a "never give up" attitude. This Sunday was all about the athletes of Dare2tri who persevere with amazing attitude, drive and that "never give up" attitude.

Today was the Chicago Triathlon which hosts over 9,000 able body and disabled athletes. I've never wanted to race in this event because of how huge it is. But today I had the honor to be an athlete guide for Ryan, a young man with Cerebral Palsy. Ryan was part of a corporate relay team which paired two athletes from a corporation with one of Dare2tri's athletes.


Chris was our swimmer and Laura was our runner. My only job was to get Ryan through the 15 mile bike course safely. And of course provide humor and an encouraging word along the way. But to be honest I had to do very little encouraging. As bikers passed us on Lake Shore Drive they yelled and cheered for Ryan. It really made me proud to be a part of this sport. It reminded me of last Sunday as I stood on the side of the road trying to fill my flat tire and riders asked if I was okay. Triathletes always seem to encourage one another even though we are competing against each other. Maybe it's because we all know the sport of triathlons is not an easy one and we recognize how a little encouragement goes a long way.

From left to right: Sheri (bike guide), Ryan (bike), Laura (run) and Chris (swim)
The 15 mile bike course was an out and back on two closed lanes of Lake Shore Dr. We weren't going very fast, so I took the time to take in the beautiful Chicago skyline and lakefront. It was one of those rare clear Chicago days, little wind, smooth water, but of course warm and humid.

I give Ryan a lot of credit, the trike was heavy and the inclines were tough for him. But he just pushed through it and enjoyed the downhills on the other side. We stopped about every 3 miles so I could hand him a water bottle. It was too dangerous to do a handoff while biking as he had limited use of his right arm and it really takes 2 hands to steer the trike.

I could tell by mile 10 he was getting a bit tired. His average speed dropped a bit and the adrenaline was wearing off. It was only after we finished the bike course did Ryan tell me this was the longest he ever biked. And where he practices there aren't really any hills. But, he never complained, he never gave up, and I was truly inspired by his tenacity to keep pushing himself.

Back in transition and done with the bike course
We had about 50 Dare2tri athletes competing over the last two days, all of whom share the same trait of never give up, never doubt, just get it done! There were also countless volunteers as guides or handlers that helped to make this happen. I'm so proud of these athletes and proud to be part of such a great organization.

I've been asked by a number of people about how they can get involved. Check out the Dare2tri web site. Consider attending our annual gala An Evening2Inspire on September 30th (details on our Facebook page). It's a perfect opportunity to meet the athletes and have a great night in Chicago. Or just ask me...I'm happy to tell you about my experiences over the last couple of years.

Today was not about the speed or distance for me, it was about empowering someone to go beyond their limits and achieve a new goal.

I truly enjoyed the ride today,
Sheri




2 comments:

  1. Great write up Sheri! They are as lucky to have you as you are to have them.

    ReplyDelete