Friday, September 16, 2016

Over? The season isn't over until I decide it is!

I'm reminded of the scene in Animal House where they are put on Double Secret Probation. But they were determined to fight back. John "Bluto" Belushi's famous rant "Over? Nothings over until we decide it is." Well, that's how I feel about my season. The calendar might say mid-September but it aint over.

I'm still swimming with the Otters 2-3 mornings a week. You might need a miners helmet to see where you are going in the lake, but it still is better than staring endlessly at that black line at the bottom of the pool. I'm still biking, too. Not as many weekday miles as during the summer as sunset is pretty early. But still able to get in 50 during the weekdays and longer on the weekends.

What the lake looks like when we get in

....when we get out

To circumvent the early sunsets, I've invested in a helmet light. Yep, I look like a geek with it on. This will allow me to ride the trails near my house and come home safely after sunset. I'm also product testing a high viability vest for RBR which really glows bright when hit with light . Between my cross bike and the fat tire bike I'll be able to get some riding in for several more months.

This week I experienced my first night gravel ride. It was 2 days before the full moon, which meant a lot of natural light. I figured this event, hosted by a local bike shop, was ideal for trying out night riding. I knew the area/trail really well so if I got freaked out by the darkness or got dropped, I knew how to get back. Also the distance was fairly short...23 miles.

Sunset to the west, full moon rising behind us
So I dipped my toe in the night riding world. It was beautiful to watch the sunset and the full moon rise. It was quiet and peaceful which enhanced the experience. Sharing it with several friends also made it special.

Next month I'm planning to head to Missouri and check out the Katy Trail. Heard great things about it and hope the fall foliage wont disappoint.

Bottom line, don't hang up your bike just yet. There's a lot more miles to be ridden and many great events/invitationals to partake in.

Still enjoying the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment