Saturday, March 15, 2014

Does this new bike make by butt look FASSSTTTTT?


Yes, I took my test ride last night and ordered my new sweet ride. I will be living on a Ramen Noodle diet for a while. But oh, so worth it.

Drum roll please....I decided on a Trek Project One Domane 6. It is on order and hope to have it in 30 days. Maybe by then the snow will be gone in Chicago and temps above freezing.

So why did I go with a Domane 6? Well as I mentioned in my post on March 12, I was considering a lot of different features when looking for my new ride. This is why I went with the Domane 6.

- Geometry - The geometry of the Domane was very close to my custom Independent Fabrication road bike. We actually put the two bikes side by side and they were very, very close. Remember with my back and neck issues, I didn't want a bike with very aggressive geometry.
- Semi-custom - The Project One series allowed me to customize the bike to my needs. From the color of the frame to the components to the wheels, I didn't have to compromise on one thing.
- Comfort - The Domane's carbon fiber frame is designed to reduce vibration and provide a more comfortable ride. This translates to me being less fatigued on longer rides and able to perform better for longer.
- Made in the USA - The 6 is built at the Trek plant in Wisconsin. It's nice to keep my money in the USA and not buy foreign.

Pretty close rendition of my new ride. Need aero bars, pedals, water cages. Oh, and a rider!

So how did I pimp my ride? Well the basic components include:
- Ultegra 11 speed - provides more gears and less jumps
- Electronic shifters enables smoother, faster and less hesitation when shifting gears. It also allows me to add the aero bars and have shifters on the bars, too.
- Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 wheels - the aerodynamic wheels combine for stability and speed. I went with the 700x25 tires to add that little bit of extra comfort on a ride.
- Carbon handlebars - reduces vibration and fatigue
- And the all important question...color? It is a crystal white frame, green decals with grey and blue accents. Pretty much what you see in the picture above. Trek calls this green Vermonster. So I'm leaning on calling her that since Blanca is already taken.

I really want to thank KC, the general manager at the Highland Park Trek store. He really spent a lot of time with me by looking at the geometry of my current road bike, hooking me up to the computer and figuring out proper fit, educating me on why I'd want one type of component over another and taking me on a that test ride. I walked away feeling like I made a very educated decision which is important when you spend a lot of money on something. And most of all I really think I'll enjoy many 1000s of miles on this bike.

In addition, I'd also like to thank my many "bike husbands" who answered countless questions and gave me some really valuable advice.

So now I will be up to 4 bikes in my garage. And you know what they say, the number of bikes you should have is N + 1. Where N = the number of bikes you already have.

I really hope Vermonster will make my butt look really FASSSTTTT!  And as I pass some of the faster guys in my club (oh, let me have my little fantasy), know that you've been Chicked.

Enjoy the Ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment