Friday, March 7, 2014

Self-massages: For in between professional massage therapy sessions



Yesterday's post was focused on professional massages. But what can you do to stay loose and improve recovery in between those sessions? Self-massages are your best bet along with stretching. In my Feb. 17th post I talked about foam rollers, Yamuna body rolling and tennis balls. But there's also massage bars and simply using your hands. These recovery aids can be used both pre- and post-ride. I found last season rolling on my foam roller or Yamuna ball prior to a ride helped to stimulate circulation in my legs resulting in a faster warm-up and performance on the bike.

Bicycling magazine recently released this video of three good self massages for your quads and hamstrings. I incorporated these when traveling last week. A foam roller isn't easy to pack so I had to do without.  Maybe I need to consider buying a bar. (Some browsers have trouble seeing video link. Click here.)

 

Also Road Bike Rider had a good article this week along with comparing rollers and bars.

Do you have a preference for foam roller or bar? Or want to share a great stretch?

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment