Monday, February 17, 2014

Foam Rollers: Beneficial or the Devil's Creation?

I think if you ask most people who have used a foam roller, they'd say beneficial, but also created by the Devil.

Virtually every gym has foam rollers laying around for members to use. I was introduced to this torture device about 10 years ago by a personal trainer. The first time I rolled my IT band you could have heard me scream miles away. The pain was like something I never felt before. I turned to my trainer thinking it was some sick joke she came up with, but it wasn't.

Over the years the foam roller has become my friend and I even purchased one for home. I think it is a "must have" tool for any athlete. So for those of you who have not tried a roller, here are some of the key benefits:

- stretches muscles and tendons
- breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue
- increases flexibility and range of motion
- increases blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues
- by using your own body weight you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia

You can also use the foam roller for exercises and balance. The internet is filled with ways to massage different areas of your body and exercises.

I thought this YouTube video from FoamRollerCoach.com was very comprehensive.


One other tool that I discovered through my Pilates instructor was Yamuna Body Rolling. There are different size balls (I have the grey one which is the size of a volleyball) depending on the body part you wish to roll. It is similar to the foam roller but you be more targeted. I also like it as you can travel with it easily.

And one last tool is an ordinary tennis ball. It's a great way to target a tight hip flexor. Lay on your stomach and place the tennis ball right up into your hip flexor. Use it for trigger point release or roll around to release the muscle. Rolling on the tennis ball with your foot or sitting on it one glute at a time is also beneficial. I found this web site with 5 great massages using a tennis ball. 

Enjoy the Ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment