Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Train with a Purpose

The other day I was at the healthclub working out. I went with a spin workout of climb repeats on my iPod and a swim workout to continue building my base. As I was on the spin bike I was watching a woman I know just wander from one machine to another machine. First the treadmill. Then 10 minutes later the elliptical. Then a slow saunter over to some contraption I have no idea what it does. Almost looked like you could churn butter. She had no sense of purpose to her workout. No energy or excitement. I'm sure her heart rate never got above 110. She definitely didn't break a sweat.

Since I knew the woman, I motioned her over while I climbed my second hill gasping for air and I asked her what she was up to. In almost a whisper, she said "I don't know." She came to the club without a purpose. And why? I don't know about you, but I really don't have much spare time in my schedule. Between work, training, social and that never ending Honey Do list, I need to make every minute count in a day...and night.



Every training session should have a purpose or don't waste your time. It could be intervals, VO2 max, endurance, or even simply a recovery ride/workout. Planning your workout ahead of time will help you avoid floundering and getting the most out of your training session.

I like to plan out my training week on Sunday nights. What type of workout I'll do each day, for how long and what intensity. Having a purpose gives me guidance and structure.

Enjoy the ride.
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment