Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ship, Schlep or Rent?

I'm headed off to warmer weather soon, headed to Tucson to cycle and hike. Cycling is my main objective. So I had to decide if I'd ship my bike, schlep it on the plane or rent one locally. All my other cycling trips I either drove or the tour group arranged shipment. I eliminated the idea of renting from a local bike shop. I own a custom IF bike that fits like a glove. Since we are riding all week, I want my own bike. My friend is renting from a local bike shop, so we'll see how that goes.

I checked into schlepping it on plane. The thought didn't excite me either. Imagine a large suitcase, a bike heavy bike case plus a carry one. No thank you. I didn't even get to the cost. A friend offered to loan me his bike case. To rent one is about $50. Then the airlines charge between $150 and $200 each way!!! That's insane. It's more than the cost of my ticket.

So I started researching companies that ship bikes and/or luggage. I found one that only ships bikes, appropriately named ShipBikes.com. They offered a variety of shipping containers and options. I went with the AirCaddy which is shown below. I liked this option because all I had to do was remove the seat post and front tire. Then turn the handle bars down. So minimal assembly once I get to Tucson. Just one wrench and I'm ready to go.




It looks like a giant bike coffin. Now all I had to figure out is how to get it from my living room to the FedEx store. It's not heavy, just huge!!! FedEx will do a home pick up but that is even more money. So thank goodness for dear friends who will help me transport the beast.

The only fear when shipping your bike is damage or loss. But lets keep happy thoughts. I'll report back how it all went.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

1 comment:

  1. Ack "Damage or lost" don't even think that! Of course I do have an old Giant that would fit you really badly. Think good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete