Thursday, February 13, 2014

Does joining a cycling club mean I'm a lemming?



No you are not a lemming!!!

This past summer one of our local bike shops hosted a Ladies Night. I had the privilege of being asked to be one of the speakers that evening. My topic was to talk about cycling clubs. Over 80 women showed up for an evening of education, food, wine, fun and camaraderie. There was a rep from Pearl Izumi talking about the latest in cycling garment fabrics and the best way to care for them. Another covering nutrition and then even a short clinic on fixing a flat.

As I mentioned, my topic was cycling clubs. And for you readers who are runners, many of the same advantages of a cycling club hold true for a running club…so don’t click off this post just yet. Read on.
The first question I asked of the 80 women was “who belongs to a cycling club?” I was totally surprised that 2/3 of the ladies were NOT. Many rode alone or with one or two friends. So I had the right audience. 

Here are the key benefits of riding with a club:

Motivation – Having a scheduled ride gets you out on your bike and motivated to ride. Especially true when the weather isn’t ideal. I ride between 5,000 – 6,000 miles a season and there’s no way I would have ever done that kind of mileage alone. Maybe remove a zero or two.

Social – Clubs are a great way to meet people that share your passion. Many of the club members I ride with I’ve known now for years and we have thousands and thousands of miles together. We encourage each other, help each other and even socialize outside the rides. To me they are truly a second family.

Discover new routes – Many of the women at the event road the same routes over and over again. With a club you discover new roads which will alleviate boredom and keep you motivated.

Become a stronger rider – Riding with a faster group will push you to become a faster rider. Truth be told, when I first started with my club 15+ years ago, I was the last one back to the parking lot after a ride. Positive…easy to find my car. But ride after ride, year after year I became a stronger rider. There are still faster members than me, so that continues to push me to be faster and stronger.

Education – Many of the members of a club have ridden for years. They have a wealth of information about buying a bike, fitting a bike, repairing a bike, getting great deals on bike stuff…you name it. I found that was true when I belonged to a camera club. I learned more from the members about equipment and taking great shots then I’d learn reading any book.

It’s Cheap! – Most yearly memberships to a cycling club are minimal. I know ours is $20 for an individual and $25 for a family. That’s less than you’d spend on one invitational.

Safety - Cars don’t see a single rider as easily as they see a group in a paceline. Also if anything happens to you physically or mechanically, there’s someone to help.

Discounts – Every girl loves a bargain. Many local bike shops provide discounts to cycling club members. Usually 10% off everything but labor.

Every bike club has a different flavor. Some are racing, some leisure. Some are strictly road rides, some are trail. Then there are some that have a “no drop” rule and others give you a cue sheet and take off. It’s great to have choices and there’s no rule you have to belong to just one club. Talk to your local bike shop and ask them what clubs ride in your area. The internet and local bike advocacy groups also have lists of clubs. Many of the invitationals are hosted by a cycling club so check out one in your area. I belong to the Wheeling Wheelmen which was established in 1970 and is one of the largest clubs in the Chicagoland area.

Did I miss any benefits? Add yours in the Comments. Love to hear from you.
 
Until next time,
Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment