Monday, February 10, 2014

How the Heck Do You Stay Motivated?

I live in the Chicagoland area. As many of you are experiencing, this is one of the coldest, snowiest and longggest winters every! So how do you stay motivated to train and stay in shape? Well besides the fear of spring coming and getting dropped on the first group ride, I find setting goals (big or small) help to provide motivation to workout (indoors or outdoors).


I signed up for MI Titanium Ironman AquaBike which takes place in Grand Rapids, MI on August 24, 2014. Only 194 training days left.With a 2.4 mile open water swim, I had to get my butt back into the pool. Really tough when it is single digits and cold outside. But then I start to think about the 2.4 mile swim. It can be an "easy" swim or a really, really hard swim. I definitely don't want to come out of the water exhausted and still face a 112 mile bike ride. So you remember your goals and that helps to motivate you to get in and swim.

It is also important to set up a calendar and schedule a time and type of workout for 5-6 days a week. If it's on your schedule, you are more apt to do it. And a lot less likely to skip it and go for pizza with the gang.

Technically this is my off season from my first passion, cycling. So I stay motivated by mixing it up. Yes, variety is the spice of life. A couple of years ago I discovered boxing. This isn't sparing. You are punching the big heavy bag. The one hour workout at Title Boxing is amazing. It helps me keep my cardio fitness level high, strengthens my core and upper body, which is necessary in any sport, and engages muscles used in lateral exercises single plane sports don't (eg. biking, running, swimming).

I also try to get outside, even the the below freezing days, which have been many this winter. Getting a group of friends to head to a local forest preserve and hike, xcountry ski or snow shoe through the deep snow is an invigorating workout. Making a date to go with friends makes you accountable and is a lot more fun. If you don't have friends who will join you, check out some of the MeetUp.com groups online. There's always a group to join in your area.

Of course, I make time for indoor cycle training, be it a computrainer class at Vision Quest Coaching (putting your road bike on a trainer hooked to a computer) or a spin class at the local gym. If you don't have access to either one of these, buy a trainer for your bike and do it on your own. There are plenty of DVDs available to kick your butt.

Mix it up even more with pilates, yoga or muscle conditioning classes.

Until next time enjoy the ride and stay motivated,
Sheri

1 comment: