Thursday, March 6, 2014

Massages: Improve Performance & Shorten Recovery Time

Prior to leaving on my Tucson trip, I booked a 90 minute massage knowing my body would be screaming for relief. Last night I went to my favorite massage therapist and sometimes torturer (in a good way), Allison. I have been going to Allison for over 8 years now. I can only figure out the time by the age of her oldest daughter, since she wasn't even born when we met. The reason why I like Allison is she understands the athlete's body since she herself is an athlete as well as a licensed massage therapist.

I asked Allison to be a guest blogger today and give us some insight to massages. So here's her message:

"Many people consider getting a massage a luxury when in fact it is great for injury prevention. The type of massage an athlete should be receiving could be slightly uncomfortable and at time quite intense. The residual effects may be soreness but quickly followed by complete release of the strain and tension.

According to the American Massage Therapy Association the benefits of massage include:
  • improving performance
  • reducing pain
  • injury prevention
  • encouraging focus and body awareness
  • shortening recovery time
Receiving a massage increases blood circulation which then relieves muscle tension. A relaxed muscle has much more range of motion and flexibility which leads to better athletic performance.

It is important to drink plenty of water after a therapeutic massage. Fresh blood, oxygen and nutrients are delivered back to the muscles which aid in removing toxins from the body.

For all of these benefits to take action you must be receiving massages regularly; depending on how intense your workouts are, once a week or at least monthly. If you are training for an event it is important to receive your session 3-5 days prior to and within 72 hours post event. These massages will very in intensity. The pre-race massage will be regular pressure while the post-race massage will be very light pressure.

I have been practicing massage therapy for 12 years and have grown to love more sports oriented therapy. I have worked with triathletes, Ironmen & Ironwomen, runners, cyclist, etc. Many of whom had doctors claiming they needed cortisone shots, surgery, or discontinue the activity all together. Sometimes it was just finding the right trigger point, or strengthening exercises to get that athlete back to feeling good again."

Thanks Allison for your great insight. I've already booked my next massage.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment