Sunday, February 28, 2016

One Inspires Many

At a recent WomenOnCall.org Meet and Match event, Madeleine Albright stated "If I could be described with one word it is grateful. And if one is grateful you want to give back." This quote resonated with me. I am grateful and I do what I can to give back.


Over a year ago, Dare2tri Paratriathlon Club came across my profile on the WomenOnCall.org web site. On paper it was a perfect fit. They needed some assistance with their marcom and my degrees are in marketing, plus I was a triathlete. It's been a great match! I've been working virtually on a project basis, a committee member for their first Evening2Inspire Gala and volunteering at different clinics and events.

This past Saturday I spent an afternoon volunteering at their annual Multisport Clinic. Athletes come for a day of functional strength training and yoga, swim, cycling and run/push clinics. This is a great opportunity to kick off the triathlon season and is open to athletes with disabilities of all ages, ability levels and experience with triathlon.


Each athlete comes with their own unique story and one is more inspiring than the next. But Saturday I was touched by one athlete in particular. He was hiking with 5 friends in Colorado and the group was up at 11,000 ft in a snow storm when he fell landing on his head. As a result he suffered a spinal cord injury and was paralyzed. He couldn't be airlifted off the mountain due the poor weather conditions. So two of his buddies hiked down the mountain to get help. Rescue teams in that area are all volunteers and quickly 9 men and 1 woman were hiking up the mountain. He described how they got him off the mountain and saved his life. He's grateful every day and knows to make the most of his life.

 
This guy is a real fighter. He's walking and making amazing progress. Saturday was his first time he was able to ride an upright bike since it was secured on a trainer and his stability wasn't an issue. The hour session brought a wide smile to his face. Just as cycling brings us such enjoy, he was able to experience that joy again.

As he continued to tell me his story, I got chills when as he described that his ultimate goal is to return to Colorado, climb that mountain with the same 5 buddies, and stand at the point where he fell. Remember that's 11,000 ft., a challenge for even an able body person. I have no doubt he will accomplish his goal. After the climb he will return to the hospital to thank the wonderful folks that helped him as well as the rescue team. This tragic event will come full circle with a happy ending.


Dare2tri's tag line is One Inspires Many. The statement is just three short words but are so powerful. Whenever I meet the Dare2tri athletes I'm inspired by them. I honestly think I get more out of volunteering than the athletes.

If you are interested in volunteering with Dare2tri or know someone who could benefit from their services, check out their web site. Also, WomenOnCall.org is an amazing organization that matches non-profits with volunteers. They have opportunities for virtual and on-site openings.

I am truly grateful to be able to give back.

Enjoy the ride,
Sheri



No comments:

Post a Comment